Thursday, October 22, 2009

Look kids! Behind the curtain....

Yesterday I spent about 3 hours of my life that I'll never get back in line for the H1N1 (swine flu!) vaccine. When I was younger, I used to rage against the machine... well that was my favorite band at any rate, and be all "down with the man!" and fun stuff like that. I'm pretty sure though that I'm not being experimented on by aliens or whatever and that the Health Department is really trying to stop the spread of The Sickness (not to be confused with Getting Down with the Sickness, for which I am totally in favor). Or maybe that's what they WANT us to think. At any rate, we went and waited. And waited. And waited.

The line went around the back side of the mall, into a store that had gone out of business. At one point I could see in the door and there was a desk! We were close! Then, upon entering, we were confronted with.....another line. At the end of THAT line we filled out forms, then turned our forms in and waited in....you guessed it, another line - all to get behind the curtains. Behind the curtains? Well if you guessed yet anothergodfreakingassedline you'd be right!

Then, in true form, Princess wigged out. Because of getting a shot you ask? Why no, that is what normal other kids do. She freaked out because the horriblemeanlady said she had to have the nasal spray instead of the shot. She cried and screamed and threatened dire violence, and all the people looked at her and sympathized; until I said, "no she's actually crying because she WANTS a shot." Then they just looked confused. She kept telling me that she was brave and wanted her shot. (After that, a shot of tequila and an hour at the tattoo place. She's hardcore.) She got the mist and cried all the way out to the car. The Destroyer on the other hand quit crying as soon as I gave him a snack for the ride home. Princess stopped crying when I told her we'd find out where she could get her other flu shot. Jealous yet?

Since I didn't suspect the government (The Man) from trying to experiment on me with toxic death-shots, I wasn't worried about any effects. No problemo with the seasonal variety I'd already received. Yeahhhhhhhh. I passed out during Nap Time, and was grumpy enough after I woke up to crawl into a sweatshirt and huddle on the couch in my irritation. If you want a good time, I'm not recommending that particular shot. On the other hand, I'm really attached to my lungs and breathing, and get reallyreallyhostile when my breathing is impeded in ANY way, so it was the lesser of evils.

Sooooo, back at it today, feeling good and ready for the weekend. Comments, questions, vaccinations?

2 comments:

Aunt Becky said...

Man, this is the best post I've read about the flu shot. The others made me want to bash my head into a bloody, splintery pulp.

Sammo said...

Thanks! I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for any head-bashing... unless it's someone I don't like. But you? Never! :)